Travels in Foreign Lands

This will be my opportunity to share some of my thoughts and experiences in Switzerland with my friends and family back home. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures.

Name:
Location: Japan

Monday, July 10, 2006

I made it Switzerland



Dear Friends,

Thank you so much for your prayers upon my departure. Everything went fine even though I worried entirely too much. I made it to London with out any problems. I was supposed to have an 8 hour layover in London. I thought that I would use this time to wonder around the city, but I was going to have to take all my luggage with me. So I asked to be put on an earlier flight and they did, for a fee. So I arrived in Switzerland about 6 hours early.

The part I was concerned about was how to get from the airport to where I was staying. I called the only number I had. A Swiss woman answered to I was forced to speak my broken French with here. I was relieved when Chef Wolfisberg got on the phone and spoke excellent English. He said someone would be right there to get me, that was such a blessing.

Here is my room that I will call home for the next three months.

So today I was able to have a tour of Geneva and see Lake Geneva. It is absolutely breathtaking. The city is so picturesque. I am going to love it here.

Can I just say that I hate Swiss keyboards? Some of the letters are switched and it makes typing very difficult. I am going to have to learn how to do this all over again. I guess that comes with the territory of traveling.
Communicating is definitely going to be a challenge. The family I am staying with speaks English, and Spanish, and Itlaian, and German and French of course. I am so amazed. I feel like an idiot for only being able to speak English and that is not even great all the time.

But the people I will be working with speak mostly French. So I better learn it really fast or just figure out how to communicate other ways. Oh well, its an adventure right?
Thanks again for your prayers. I miss you all already.
Jennifer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home