Travels in Foreign Lands

This will be my opportunity to share some of my thoughts and experiences in Switzerland with my friends and family back home. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures.

Name:
Location: Japan

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I love Lucy

So is it bad when a large portion of your life relates to an episode of I love Lucy. When I worked at the Aquarium and we played with chocolate, I was reminded of the episode where Lucy and Ethel work in the candy factory. They get shuffled around from department to department because they are so inept at the job. And they end up making a mess with the chocolate.

Now that I am in a foreign country and don't speak the language, I am reminded of the episode where Lucy is in Italy and she is stomping grapes to "Soak up local color". And she can't understand what her boss is telling her to do and she just follows him around. That is what I feel like. I spend a lot of my time following people around and watching them trying to figure out what they want me to do.

This became really frustrating today when I was trying to do a simple thing like order lunch. I got really sick of not knowing what anyone is saying, and being confused a large portion of the time. I am surprised at how people keep trying to talk to me even when they know I can't understand them.

I guess this is just another opportunity to trust God more with everything that is going on in this country. Because I truly can't do it on my own. I figure things can only get better, they couldn't get much worse. Right?

Tomorrow I have the day off, so that will be a good chance to get some much needed rest.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

No my fishy friends, no one is as crazy as you. We did make financiers the other day and it was just like being back at the Aquarium. Only on a much smaller scale. And they buy their eggs preseperated. It is nice.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home