Travels in Foreign Lands

This will be my opportunity to share some of my thoughts and experiences in Switzerland with my friends and family back home. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures.

Name:
Location: Japan

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Beucoups (Lots of) Pictures




English Speakers call it Lake Geneva. The Swiss call it Lac Léman.

Jet d'Eau dans Lac léman. Jet of Water on Lake Geneva. They turn it off when the wind is too strong, for obvious reasons.

Charles Luneburg, born in Brunswick on October 30, 1804, died in Geneva on August 18, 1873, appointed Geneva as his residuary legatee, being agreed that the city would erect a mausoleum on the model of the Scaliger tomb in Verona. Designed chiefly by Jean Franel, architect, this monument was finished in 1879. Originally there was a statue of Luneburg on a horse on the top of this monument, but it had to be taken down for safety reasons.

Monument de la Réformation (Reformation Monument) The man 2nd from the left is John Calvin.

La Rue de Jean Calvin (John Calvin Rd.)

What I think this says is: Lived Here and Year of Death. (I will let someone else figure out the years.) The House that he lived in was demolished in 1706 and replaced by this one, that resembles the original.

Eau Potable (Drinking Water). One of the very cool water fountains I saw during my walking tour of Geneva. I can't get the other one to load right now. And I did drink from the fountain and it hasn't had any adverse side effects yet.

This sign tells where the parking lots are and even tells you how many spots are available in each lot. Why don't we do that in the States?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home