Travels in Foreign Lands

This will be my opportunity to share some of my thoughts and experiences in Switzerland with my friends and family back home. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures.

Name:
Location: Japan

Friday, August 18, 2006

A Day in My Life

I probably should have made this entry a lot sooner, but better late than never. I just want to give you an idea of what a typical day is like for me.

4:20 AM Alarm rings and I think, "No, I don't want to get up." But I do.
5:30 AM Work begins. First we make the sandwhiches for the shop. We make salami sandwhiches, ham sandwhiches, chicken salad sandwhiches, goat cheese, tapanade, and tomato sandwhiches. Those are good, and I hate tapanade. For those of my non-culinary friends tapanade is basically a black olive spread.
6:30 AM We finish off the desserts to be sold that day. This generally includes adding fillings to eclairs, making strawberry tarts and rasberry tarts and adding garnishes to lemon tarts and burning the créme brulée.
7:30 AM Breakfast- This is not your typical breakfast. We have croissants (read butter), pain au chocolate (read sugar and butter), brioche (read carbs). It is all really good. Maybe a little too good.
8:30 AM Back to finishing desserts.
9:30 or 10:00 AM Production begins. I generally weigh out ingrediants for the pastries. Sometimes I get to make ice cream. This is not as glamourous as it sounds. It involves standing over a pot of cream, sugar, milk, eggs, and butter stirring until it reaches 85 degrees celsius. This cooks the eggs and makes it safe to eat the ice cream.
12:00 Lunch. Whatever I can find in the fridge at work.
1:00 PM Back to production. Its different every day.
2:30 PM Begin cleaning. Having a big kitchen is great until it is time to clean the thing.
3:00 PM Work is finished, time to go home.

During my free afternoons I do any number of things, from wandering the streets of Geneva, to riding the Mouettes (boats on Lake Geneva), visiting the Jet d'Eau, checking email, writing in my journal, all kinds of stuff.

6:00 PM Dinner Whatever is leftover from service that day in the shop.
7:00 PM Shower and get ready for bed
8:00 PM Bed and then do it all again the next day.

So that is a day in my life. All times are Swiss which is six hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer. Great blogs. As a congregation we have been praying for you this week.

Cal

7:44 AM  
Blogger SElizabeth said...

Those are fun details I like to hear! And how sweet that the church is praying for you! Such a support for me!

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home