Travels in Foreign Lands

This will be my opportunity to share some of my thoughts and experiences in Switzerland with my friends and family back home. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures.

Name:
Location: Japan

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Geneva vs. Atlanta

When I first got here I noticed that Geneva is a lot like Mid-town Atlanta. The similarity that I noticed was that everyone here has a dog, just like mid-town. They have big dogs, little dogs, hairy dogs, ugly dogs. And they LOVE their dogs. It is quite humorous to me. Maybe because I am not so much a dog-person.

Geneva is also home to many people just passing through. I have met very few people who are actually from Geneva or Switzerland for that matter. I think the same is true of Atlanta. People move to Atlanta to go to school or for a job, but rarely were they born and raised there. Of course there are exceptions. But for the most part, people in Geneva are only here for a short time, a few months like me, or maybe a few years. I have come across some people who have been here for 10 or 12 years, but most move on to other places.

Something that is dissimilar between the two cities is the public transportation system. Geneva has an amazing public transport system. It is absolutely faboulous. Nobody really needs their car here, but many people do continue to use them. I love public transportaion system. Although as a typical American who values my individualism, I am looking forward to having my car again when I get back to the states . . . and my cell phone. But public transportation really is great when it works well. I do wish Atlanta had a better system.

Geneva is also much, much smaller than Atlanta. And I like this. Atlanta seems so big and impersonal to me. Geneva seems much friendlier. I like that. It is so easy to just walk to so many places. Which I have tried to take advantage of. I like to just wander around the city and see what new places I can find. There is so much to see in such a small space.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of the city I live in. It has been fun being here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home