Travels in Foreign Lands

This will be my opportunity to share some of my thoughts and experiences in Switzerland with my friends and family back home. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures.

Name:
Location: Japan

Monday, August 14, 2006

I love Europe


The other day I was supposed to go home with the other girl that lives at my house, but it feel through at the last minute. So I started looking in my guidebook for a place to go. I came across Zürich. So I decided to go there. I think it is so cool that I can decide to go to Zürich on a whim and just get on a train and go. Europe is pretty cool.

So Zürich

"Drama" characterizes my day in Zürich perfectly. It is a beautiful city and I had a wonderful morning visiting St. Peter's church with a 13th century tower and the largest clock face in Europe. 8.7 Meters. Wow.


Then I visited the Fraumünster which they say has beautiful stained glass windows. But it was closed for renovation and stained glass never looks as good on the outside as the inside. This picture is the best view of the windows I got, and its not that great.

I visited the Grossmünster. A cathedral where you can pay 2 Francs and climb the tower. I figured it was worth it, but all I had was a 100 Franc bill. The lady did not have change. I said it was all I had. She told me to just go on up. That was pretty cool. The view of the city was faboulous.

From here I began the first in a series of many walks along the lake. The walk was really nice, but at the end I wanted to take a boat back up the river, but I could not figure out how to buy a ticket. I don't speak German, much less read it. So I just walked back, thinking I would go find a place to have some good bratwurst. I don't like bratwurst, but it is a German specialty, so I figured I would try it.

This is the beginning of the drama. When I had almost walked the mile back this Italian man named Luko asked me for the time, I replied in French, then English. He got all excited for the opportunity to practice English. So we chatted. He asked me where I was headed. I said to get some bratwurst. He said he knew a good place on the other side of the lake. So we began the mile walk back to the boat. He showed me that you buy tickets on the boat, and let me use his pass, because he had another discount card. So we go to this place and have some amazing bratwurst. It was soooooo goood.

Then he wanted to take me to get some gelato (ice cream). So we go next door and get ice cream. Then we go and sit on the dock. He walks off to throw away the trash, when he comes back he grabs my face and tries to kiss me. Umm NO I don't think so buddy. So I decided I need to leave, this is getting a little uncomfortable. I told him I had to go. He said he would stay and pointed in the direction we had come from and said it was 20 km back to the city. I walked off and then realized 20 km is TWELVE MILES. I can't walk TWELVE MILES in flip flops and jeans. I don't know if he really said 20 km or if I heard him wrong. Itwas definitely not that far on the way there.

I started to freak out, but then I just realized, wait I'll just go back the way we came. So I got on the boat, now I knew how to get a ticket, and I had a discount card too, so it was cheap. I got off on the other side and started to walk down the river for the 4th time that day. I realized later that that same boat would have taken me back up the river, but I wasn't thinking straight after the ordeal with Luko.

The rest of the day was much less eventful, thank goodness. I called Tim, we had a good talk. He thought "my date" with the little Italian man was absolutely hilarious. Then I just wandered around a bit. I do that a lot. Then I got on the train and came home. Even though it was a beautiful city, I don't think I will be visiting Zürich again anytime soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lydia said...

Jenn! You have such exciting adventures! Of all the blogs I read, I think you have the most intresting situation. Your little chocolate creations look amazing! I envy you this time to absorb another culture and see and experience so many new things- even if they do include being hit on by strange little Italian men! What a story!

11:35 AM  
Blogger 15010 said...

sounds like you had a fun and interesting time on your travels.

12:24 PM  
Blogger 15010 said...

sounds like you had a fun and interesting time on your travels.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home